Health plan benefits and coverage; 35 million medical members, as of December 31, 2008. The Company is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA), an association of independent health benefit plans. It serves its members as the Blue Cross licensee for California and as the Blue Cross and Blue Shield (BCBS), licensee for Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri (excluding 30 counties in the Kansas City area), Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Virginia, and Wisconsin. In a majority of these service areas, it does business as Anthem Blue Cross, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield or Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield. The Company also serves its members throughout the country as UniCare. WellPoint is licensed to conduct insurance operations in all 50 states through its subsidiaries. In April 2008, the Company acquired Resolution Health, Inc. and DeCare Dental.1.
1. Social Responsibility Reporting - WellPoint published a Social Responsibility Report, which is available on its website.
2. Corporate Governance - WellPoint has a section of its website that lists its code of conduct, insider trading policy, and transactions, among other information.
3. Diversity - WellPoint has a section of its website that explains their diversity policy and provides links to and resources about various minority groups (ethnic minorities, women, disabilities, LGBT, etc), stating that "knowledge is power".
4. Diversity Recognition - DiversityInc named WellPoint one of the top 50 Companies for Diversity in 2009.
5. Working Mothers Recognition - Working Mother named WellPoint one of the 100 Best Companies in 2009.
6. Grantmaking - The WellPoint Foundation focuses on initiatives related to the health care industry. WellPoint has also helped create $4.7B worth of independent charitable foundations that address health care issues.
7. Supplier Diversity - WellPoint is dedicated to diversifying their supplier base to include minority-, women- and disabled-owned businesses whenever possible.
8. Community Giving - WellPoint has an annual Community Service Day and an Associate Giving Campaign for its employees.
9. Coverage for the Uninsured - WellPoint has an official mission and action plan to help provide coverage to the underserved, particularly for children and "those most in need". 10. Healthy Parenting - WellPoint has a Healthy Parenting initiative, which educates communities about child obesity, promotes active lifestyles, and encourages them to quit smoking.
1. March 2010; being sued for hiking the rates of its 800,000 individual policyholders, or those not covered through a group plan, by as much as 39 percent1
2. Treatment of Employees - As of October 2009, WellPoint encouraged its employees to fight health care reform and is now cutting their benefits.2.
3. Opposition to Health Care Reform - the coalition Health Care for America Now organized a large citizen protest against WellPoint in September 2009 for its "opposition to real health care reform".3.
4. Consumer Complaints - In 2005, WellPoint paid nearly $200M to avoid trial in a class action lawsuit of nearly 700K doctors against a number of health insurance companies. They alleged that these companies, including WellPoint, were intentionally trying to underpay doctors for out-of-network care.4.
5. For other controversies, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellpoint#Controversy
HQ in Indianapolis, IN