Railroads that links 23 states in the western two-thirds of the United States. Union Pacific Railroad Company’s business mix includes agricultural products, automotive, chemicals, energy, industrial products and intermodal. UPRR has approximately 32,012 route miles, linking Pacific Coast and Gulf Coast ports with the Midwest and eastern United States gateways and providing several corridors to Mexican gateways. The freight traffic consists of bulk, manifest and premium business. Bulk traffic consists of coal, grain, rock, or soda ash in unit trains. Manifest traffic is individual carload or less than train-load business, including commodities, such as lumber, steel, paper and food. The transportation of finished vehicles and intermodal containers is part of the premium business.1.
1. Innovative Environmental Technology - UPC pioneered the Genset, a low-emissions switch locomotive, which earned them a 2008 CALSTART Blue Sky Merit Award. They also tested the world's first diesel battery hybrid switch locomotive1.
2. Diversity - UPC has a community sourcing program, where they work with community organizations nationwide to increase the diversity of their job applicants2.
2. Family Assistance - UPC has a Rest Easy program that provides in-home care for an employee's children or older dependents when an emergency arises.
3. Community Impact - The Union Pacific Foundation provides grants to education leaders and nonprofit organizations located in UPC communities.
4. Fuel Efficiency - UPC has achieved a 15 percent increase in fuel efficiency since 1998.
6. Building Efficiency - The Union Pacific Center received EnergyStar designation and an Energy Innovators Award from the US Department of Energy.
7. Recycling - UPC has a comprehensive waste reduction and recycling program, which extends to e-waste3.
1. Environment - UPC has an entire website devoted to environmental impact, run by "Union Pacific Corporation Environmental Management", which discusses their environmental policy, green technology, and green community initiatives, among others. They also explain that freight transportation is more fuel-efficient than highway. I put some initiatives in the "Doing" section, but there is literally too much great stuff to list.1.
2. Diversity - UPC has a public commitment to diversity on their website.
3. Quiet Zone - UPC publicly states their committment to the Federal Railroad Administration's quiet zone rule
4. Corporate Governance - UPC has a corporate governance section of their website, where they state their code of business ethics, corporate governance guidelines, and committee charters.
5. Working Families - UPC is a multiyear recipient of Working Mothersmagazine's "100 Best Companies for Working Mothers" award.2.
6. Latina Workers - UPC received an award from LATINA Style Magazine as one of the 50 best companies for Latina employees in the US.3.
1. Sex Discrimination - In 2005, two female employees won a lawsuit against UPC for not covering prescription contraception in its health plan.1.
2. Anti-Union - A suit was filed against UPC's trucking subsidiary, Overnite, in 2002, for its anti-union efforts. It was dismissed on a technicality, not for its grounds.2.
HQ in Omaha, NE