Trex Company, Inc. manufactures and distributes wood/plastic composite products primarily for residential and commercial decking and railing applications. The Company is a of wood-alternative decking, railing, fencing and trim products, which are marketed under the brand name Trex. The majority of its products are manufactured in a process that combines waste wood fibers and reclaimed polyethylene (PE material). It offers a set of product offerings in the decking, railing, fencing and trim categories. Its decking, railing, fencing and trim products are provided in a selection of sizes and lengths and are available with several finishes and/or numerous colors. The Company also offers Trex Hideaway, which is a hidden fastening system for specially grooved boards. Its two railing products are Trex Designer Series Railing and Trex Transcend Railing.1
1. Trex composite products are made of a unique combination of wood and plastic fibers. Trex gets its plastic and wood fibers from reclaimed or recycled resources, including sawdust and used pallets from woodworking operations, and recycled plastic grocery bags from all over the United States.1
2. Trex has joined with Penn Jersey Paper and Goodwill Industries to launch the BagSmart program, a comprehensive initiative to help consumers in Pennsylvania and New Jersey recycle and reuse plastic bags - thus reducing their impact on the local environment.2
3. Trex Company has received a number of awards for its business methods. Some of these awards include:
The Governor of Virginia's Environmental Award for "impressive tonnage of recycled grocery bags and pallet wrap kept out landfills"
Connecticut College's Inherit the Earth Gold Medal for "demonstrating that business can be profitable, while meeting the needs of environmental sustainability" Winslow Management Company's Green Award for companies that positively for companies that positively contribute to both the environmental and their shareholders The Governor of Virginia's Environmental Excellence First-place Award for "Outstanding Environmental Projects" (twice received)
The "Excellence in Plastics Recycling" award from the Society of Plastic Engineers Recycling Division.
1. Trex claims that 98% of each their composite products’ contents are recycled and reclaimed plastic and wood fibers.1
2. Trex likes to point out that 1.5 Billion recycled grocery bags are used to manufacture Trex products each year as well as that 0 Trees are cut down to make Trex products.2