SUPERVALU is a grocery channel that conducts its retail operations under the banners, such as Acme Markets, Albertsons, Bristol Farms, bigg’s, Cub Foods, Farm Fresh, Hornbacher’s, Jewel-Osco, Lucky, Save-A-Lot, Shaw’s Supermarkets, Shop ’n Save, Shoppers Food & Pharmacy and Star Markets. Additionally, the Company provides supply chain services, primarily wholesale distribution, across the United States retail grocery channel. The Company operates in two segments: Retail food and Supply chain services. During the fiscal year ended February 28, 2009 (fiscal 2009), the Company added 44 new stores through new store development and closed 97 stores. The Company leverages its distribution operations by providing wholesale distribution and logistics and service solutions to its independent retail customers through its Supply chain services segment1.
1. CSR report online1
2. Community section on website. Donates food to Feeding America (domestic hunger relief) & America's Second Harvest (providing food to the communities in which they operate). Entered the EPA's GreenChill Partnership, which pledges to promote green technologies & practices that reduce GHG emissions. Also, supported the Will Steger Global Warming 101 Ellesmere Expedition (dogsledding across Ellesmere Island) to raise awareness on global sustainability issues2.
3. Environmental Stewardship section on website. Established a company environmental stewardship council called ValuEarth, which studies, reccomends & oversees ways the company can reduce its environmental footprint. Goal to reduce landfill waste by 50% in 5 years, build a "green" culture, provide "green" products/services3. Animal Welfare Policy on website4.
4. Animal welfare section on website5.
1. 1/22/09 Supervalu faces collusion lawsuit (anti-competition) - In 2003, Suprvalu & C&S Wholesale Grocers allegedly made a deal that conspired to allocate markets & refrain from competing in regional markets; C&S agreed to not enter the Midwestern market if Supervalu exited New England1.
2. SuperValu, Inc., which now owns Albertson's, Lucky Stores and Sav-on Drug Stores, has agreed to pay $15 million in a settlement reached on behalf of nearly 200,000 former employees. The lawsuit, originally filed by the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 324 in September of 2000, alleged the employers did not properly pay employees for accrued vacation hours, and did not pay terminated employees on their last day on the job. California Labor Code requires companies to pay terminated employees final wages on the last day of employment, or within 72 hours of resignation,including accrued vacation pay.2
Supervalu store names: Shop 'n Save, Jewel-Osco, Albertsons, Shoppers, Shaw's Star, Acme, Bigg's, Bristol Farms, Farm Fresh, Save a lot, Supervalu, etc. HQ in Eden Prarie, MN.