1. Ecoproducts - compact, uses fewer resources & lower power consumption1.
2. "Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing" - December 2003 - Achieved zero landfill waste in all Japan manufacturing sites (recycle all waste by sorting/collecting by material type) - December 2005 achieved zero landfill waste in all 17 manufacturing sites outside Japan2.
3. "Environmentally Conscious Logistsics" - 2007 "Reduced 24% of CO2 emissions (per unit of net sales) associated with logistics in Japan from 2000 levels (done through improving loading efficiency through five categories of actions, specifically parts procurement, efforts at manufacturing sites, product arteries, sales to customers, and packaging)"3, 4.
1. Environmental activities, Sustainability & Sustainability reports on web1.
2. Promoting inverse manufacturing (IM), in which used products collected from customers are disassembled and sorted and their parts reused2return/index.html).
3. 10/20/08 Developed Bio-based Plastic - "Canon announced that it had developed a new bio-based plastic for use in office products that will be launched early next year. Canon worked with Toray Industries Inc. to develop the material, called "Ecodear.'' The resin is based on polylactic acid, according to a report in our sister publication Plastics & Rubber Weekly"3.
1. * 6/19/08 Greenpeace Activism - Canon regularly features breathtaking images of whales to market its photography equipment, yet the company is unwilling to use its considerable influence with the Japanese government to stop the senseless killing of these same creatures, said John Hocevar, an ocean specialist with Greenpeace1.