ACS Actividades de Construccion y Servicios SA is a civil and engineering construction company. The company operates in five areas: Construction, Concessions, Environment & Logistic, Industrial Services and Energy and Strategic Investments. The Company is engaged in civil works projects, residential and non-residential building, communications and control systems, facility management, environmental and port services and logistics, maintenance and distribution Network installation, passenger and merchandise transport, as well as the management of advertising space in large transport facilities and centers. Its main subsidiaries include Dragados SA, engaged in the construction sector; ACS Servicios Comunicaciones y Energia SA, dedicated to the industrial services; ACS, Servicios y Concesiones SL, providing urban services; ACS Telefonia Movil SL, specializing in telecommunication services, and PR Pisa SA, active in the energy area, among others1, 2.
1. Spain's industry ministry awarded ACS subsidies for six solar thermal power plants with a capacity to generate 300 MW of energy. Thermal solar technology uses mirrors to focus the sun's rays onto a central receiver, generating steam that powers electric turbines. The power from thermal solar power can be stored and can be a key power backup for electricity grids1. ACS built their first solar thermal plant in 2008 called Andasol I. They say that they have been a pioneer in developing this technology, which "is one of the most advanced, manageable and respectful of the environment"2.
2. ACS has built high-speed train lines in Europe and is interested in building or upgrading U.S. rail lines. $13B in U.S stimulus money has been set aside to upgrade existing rail lines and build new ones that might rival Europe's3.
3. Develops infrastructure for society's use, e.g. the solar thermal and high-speed rail projects mentioned above, but also a hydroelectric dam in Portugal, the El Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia which is an opera house and cultural centre in Valencia, Spain, and a series of sky-scrapers in spain which serves as primarily office space; all of which, are coming from a company focus on "value generated for the whole of society, by fostering sustainable economic growth"4, 5, 6.
1. Invested over €870 million in Research, Development and Innovation initiatives to projects which reduce emissions of greenhouse gases in its operations1.
2. Global Compact member since 2002, which the company says means to them that they implement measures to adhere to the 10 principles of the Compact, which provide guidance on conduct related to Human and Labor rights, the Environment and Corruption2.
3. Corporate Responsibility section on website features a Corporate Responsibility Report3.
1. Constructed the Alqueva Dam in Portugal in 2002 to produce hydroelectric power, irrigation for farms and as a large reservoir for tourist ventures1.
2. How is the company integrating green building practices into their projects? What information is available about how well the company does building in a way that respects local communities and the land?
3. HQ in Madrid, Spain
4. Chairman Florentino Perez is also the president of world reknown Real Madrid soccer team as of 6/2/092.